Thursday, December 6, 2007

Happy Hanukkah!


Happy Hanukkah everyone!
John 1:4 says, "In Him (Jesus) was life, and the life was the light of men."

Jesus, the light, came and shone in a dark world so that we can in turn be lights for His glory. Matthew 5:16 says, "Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works and glorify your Father in heaven."

What began as a miracle of oil that lasted for 8 days at the institution of the Feast of Dedication (mentioned in John 10:22) became yet another way for us to point to Jesus who is our Light! If you do a web search on Hanukkah and the origin of the celebration you'll find that again, this is another example of what God can do when we stand up for what is truth! How exciting it is to celebrate such a fun and significant way to remember the magnificent power of God through adversity AND day-to-day life!

The older 3 children are part of a Bible Club that I teach at our church and celebrated with a Hanukkah party last night. Most of the children (and some of the adults) didn't know much about Hanukkah history, dreidels and lighting the candles, so we had a great time! It made me smile to hear the boys shouting out which Hebrew letter they wanted the dreidel to end up on. There was lots of candy and a few bouncy balls and party poppers to be won--I'm sure the children will want to make this an annual event. :)

Yes, the boys are still wearing their PackerWear!! :) They do allow me to wash them, though. :)

Enjoy the beauty of this season -- take a deep breath and rejoice in the Reason we celebrate!
Posted by Picasa

6 comments:

mama said...

HAY! I mean YAY!! I hit the wrong key, how cool is that!!

Haven't yet posted our Hanukkah photos yet, you beat me to it! :)

See ya tonight!

Bonnie said...

We heard a very awesome presentation on Hanukkah today as we were preparing lunch. It was done by Moody Presents. I learned a lot and I wondered to myself if you were "doing" something. I shouldn't be surprised.
There is so much to learn!
I wish I were there with you.
I miss you,
No hair yet...
Love,
Bonnie

Dan and Alicia Marlowe said...

Missed seeing you at "Two-wanas" last night. We brought baby in to show off at the girls request. Hope everyone is well. Did you all take part in the financial peace seminar at your church?

Kirk said...

GO PACKERS!!!

Kirk said...

GO PACKERS!!!

Kirk said...

(woops!)