Friday, October 2, 2009

Feast of Tabernacles - An Explanation

Sukkot 2008


The Feast of Tabernacles (Sukkot) begins this weekend and we are very excited. But, before I post pictures of this year's festivities, I would like to address a few points of interest. There have been quite a few people that are still confused as to where I am going with these celebrations of unusual holidays. I can't even count how many people have asked me if I'm Jewish and what the deal is with all of these Jewish holidays. They are not just Jewish holidays; they are Biblical holidays and no, as far as the technical requirements are concerned, I am not Jewish (although I do have Jewish ancestry on my father's side of the family). I am celebrating what many people would classify as "Messianic Judaism" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Messianic_Judaism. But, before you write me off as some sort of religious nut, please know that this celebration of mine has come with much questioning, and criticism, but tons and tons of JOY. I have carefully weighed my associations with this branch of the Hebraic roots of our faith. I have studied carefully and prayed extensively about what it is that my Creator is showing me through these "appointed times" of His calendar. Please study it for yourself. It's all in the Bible. These are not some obscure beliefs that I've been brainwashed into accepting. The "Messianic Jewish" movement has varieties within it just as any denomination, so I must say that it is not a term that I use when describing where I'm at in my faith. I identify myself with them when others need to label me for a particular reason.
The early church (yep, the one in the New Testament) was doing the things that I'm doing. These believers were celebrating their Hebraic roots and the Jewishness of their Messiah by observing the "appointed times" and customs as laid out in the Scriptures. There is an uneasiness with many Christians when anything Jewish is discussed and there shouldn't be. We worship the same God. We have the same foundations of our faith. We should be working hand in hand supporting each other rather than continuing the division that was brought on by such people as Constantine and Martin Luther (who were both very anti-Semitic). Oh, but you say, "How can you possibly think that the Old Testament could have value other than the stories that we learned in Sunday School?" All I can say is, "Look, read, and listen". If you search for it, you will find it.

No, I'm not shaking my finger in the face of anyone who disagrees with me. No, I'm not saying that you should do things that I do just because I do them. Please don't imply those things from this imperfect, struggling, follower of Yeshua (Jesus). But, if you are drawn to look deeper, to search out the true heart of the matter, and delve into thinking outside the box of Western Churchology; then, welcome! Please pull up a chair and enjoy all that the Lord has for us. There is much blessing in the freedom of seeing the whole Bible as an intricately woven tapestry; complementing and supporting itself through the beautiful threads of Messiah throughout! We are all on a journey, some a more meaningful and purposeful one than others. My prayer is that my journey points heavenward and the way it is perceived does the same.


Sukkot 2007
Posted by Picasa

6 comments:

Morhu said...

I am really looking forward to sukkot this year! We wont be building a sukka, but I feel like I have a more clear picture of who my savior is when I look at how He was there from the very beginning, celebrated in every feast and Im enjoying the spiritual newness that comes with God's appointed times. Thanks for sharing those great pictures too!

Bonnie said...

Dear Friend,
I am so thankful for you and your love for Yeshua...
I wish I could learn more from you. I am thankful for Passover, yet my heart yearns to know more and more.
Happy Birthday too--you are 39 years young!! WOW.
I miss you bunches and bunches.

God is faithful,
Bonnie

Kristine said...

Bonnie-
Many thanks to you and your husband for helping me learn about the feasts in the first place! :) I still have a hard time realizing that I'd been carrying around my Bible for 30 years and hadn't been taught about the feasts until that Sunday School class. Has it been 8 years since we learned about the feasts in Tim's class and celebrated Passover together for the first time? Wow!

Bonnie said...

Oh my stars!! I love your new picture in front of the glacier!!!!!!!!!
I am trying really, really hard to not be jealous...............
It is so beautiful Kristine!!
Love you
Bonnie

mama said...

It was only a year or so ago that I learned about Luther's anti semitism. I was so shocked, so sad. Everybody's got their faults right? Still. :(

Deanna said...

Years ago, we went to a tiny start-up church that often taught about how Old Testament observances are relevant now and how they tie in to the whole of Scripture. It was fascinating, and so eye-opening. God's Word is so lovely.