Monday, August 23, 2010

Homeschooling at its best!

Classic homeschooling: 1) Find a lesson on colonial food and a simple recipe for "Johnny cakes"... 2) Realize that it would be a perfect opportunity to use the cast iron cookware that we bought in the spring and haven't used yet... 3) Going on the idea of using the cookware, the Johnny cakes would be great in the skillet, and some soup would be great in the dutch oven... 4) Oh, look there are some embers in the fire pit from last night's fire. We could try to start a fire like they did in Colonial times with no lighters, no matches, and no newspapers! ... 5) Yeah, let's make lunch and eat outside and everything!... 6) Wow, that's a lot of work for one meal -- I'm very thankful for our modern convenience and that I didn't have to do all of that in a floor-length, long sleeved dress! :)


What a yummy way to experience history! :) Just wish every day could be that much fun....here's to a great school year......number 8 here I come! I'm still learning and growing and trying to figure out how to "do" homeschooling in the best way for our family. Please keep us in your prayers as we embark on this year of learning and growing together. No, after 7 years, it doesn't really get easier -- it just gets a little clearer of what my goals are. The hard part is letting the Lord give me the energy and ability to control my selfishness of wanting to take the easy way out (like just reading about this stuff instead of actually experiencing what it was like and how it works and how we can be so very thankful for what we have!) Thank you, Lord, for this opportunity! I pray for all of the school kiddos everywhere as they begin a new year. May it be the best ever! Amen.
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

.Kate. said...

Wow, what a great idea! And that soup looks soooo yummy! I'll be praying for you guys this year; hope you have another great year :). I'll be homeschooling our two (10 and 4) this year, for my first shot at the enormous yet extremely rewarding task! Looking forward to it - we are starting after labor day :).