Sunday, May 25, 2008

Fertilizer Plant Tour

 
 
 
 The older 3 children and I were invited to take a field trip to the local fertilizer plant that is shutting down. We were able to see the process and hear about the chemistry involved to make urea (the granulated white stuff you see in the pictures here). It was a great learning experience and since we drive past the plant often, the tour was even more meaningful because it answered quite a few questions we had about what went on there. The last picture is of the warehouse where the urea is stored. It is sad to watch as people move away in search for other jobs after being let go. Thank you to the "A" family for allowing us to come along!
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

mama said...

OK, so I just have to ask, did it smell bad there? Like, uh, urine?

Kristine said...

Believe it or not, I couldn't smell anything yucky! I thought it didn't smell like anything at all. The kiddos and I have been calling it the "stinky place" for 4 years now and didn't realize that the "yucky" smell is coming from Tesoro across the road from them.

Dan and Alicia Marlowe said...

Isn't it unhealthy to let the kids climb in that stuff?