Thursday, May 10, 2012

On the Road to Recovery

Had a really good visit with my "new" doctor yesterday!  "New" is in quotes because he's the doctor I had years ago and now I'm coming back to him.  I'm done with the doctor that implied that these illness were psychosomatic and said that they are triggered by my body's auto-immune problems.  Anyway....I'm really not THAT creative!  First, I really couldn't make up all of the symptoms on my own and even if I could, I would have had to carry a journal with me everywhere I went to remember which story I told to whom because it would just be too much to make up and keep the lie going on!

So, the doctor that I went to yesterday heard me out, asked me pertinent questions regarding my health, and ordered tests to get some things checked out.  I respect Dr. Thompson because he has done years of research on mineral deficiencies and how they affect the body.  He also uses modern technology and procedures to find out more about what's going on.  I consider it "the best of both worlds" -- herbal and modern medicine in one place!  We talked for over an hour and when I told him that I stopped seeing him because I couldn't keep up with the "homework assignments" (supplement and dietary changes), he apologized and said that he has changed a lot in the past few years and told about how he doesn't always stay on track himself.  It was just a great appointment overall and I feel like I have been given my voice back (figuratively, and physically).

Here is what I gathered as immediate changes to implement into my attack immediately and have already started carrying out:
1) Chromate - This one is completely intriguing to me because I used to take it (lost 40 pounds without really even trying) and then for some reason stopped taking it years ago and have gained 20 of it back!  Chromate is the brand name for a capsule that is essentially chromium polynicotinate.  It is different than the typical Chromium supplements found in the health food stores (chromium picolinate).  Chromium Polynicotinate taken 600mg, 1 per meal + bedtime, increase one capsule at each meal every 1-2 weeks until weight loss begins (up to 4 per meal), improves the ability of our bodies to process sugars and use insulin.  Low Chromium levels in the body (made worse by aspartame found in most diet soft drinks) cause our bodies to create an insulin resistance that makes us gain weight and have difficulties keeping weight off when we lose it.  I'm more than ready to get back on this wagon again because the symptoms of this problem with insulin resistance line up with what is going on in my health right now.
2) Whole Food Vitamin C- Vitamin C is sold everywhere...can't just any ol' tablet work?  Well, not really....Vitamin C (commonly sold in stores as ascorbic acid is only a small piece of the vitamin c that our bodies need) in its complex form is the full molecule that we need, not just a tiny piece of it cheaply found as ascorbic acid in the ingredient list of our vitamins.  Whole Food Vitamin C helps our metabolism, oxygen levels in the blood, immune system, helps in overall healing.  Expensive compared to the other, but ohhh, so worth it!
3) Trace Minerals - Besides the fact that our foods now contain only a small percentage of the minerals that they were created to nourish us with, our bodies thrive on a PH balance.  There is another whole study that can be done on alkaline vs. acidic bodies and what happens, but I will sum it up by saying that it is worth it to add trace minerals to your supplement regime.  Again, I'm not sure why I fell off that wagon too since I was so much healthier when I was taking them, but I'm back.  They taste like ocean water (which if you remember a mouth full of ocean water as a child, is about as exciting as using a nasal rinse), but if I take my mineral tablets at the same time as I take the Oregano capsules, I don't burp up ocean taste - I burp up spaghetti/pizza taste!  Bonus!!! 
4) Oregano - Oregano has anti bacterial properties!  So, because it is good at "curing what ails you", it is great to take whenever your body is being attacked (which for me as been almost constant these past couple of years).  Another side benefit of taking oregano is that after about a month of taking it, mosquitoes won't bite you (that's what my doctor said)!  I'm excited about this one since we are planning to go on a 5 day wilderness trip next month and I can use all of the help I can get! :)  I'll let you know how it works out.  I'm hoping it works for those pesky little biting black flies too!
5) Vitamin D - I have known that I have a tendency to be Vitamin D deficient, so when the doctor suggested it I wasn't surprised in the least.  Vitamin D is great for pretty much everything from inflammation of every kind to mood balance and energy levels!  I'm currently taking 4,000 iu per day, but for most people 2,000-4,000 will at least help.  Sunshine is a great source for this vitamin, but living in Alaska does have its drawbacks and excessive lack of Vitamin D would be one of them.

So, that's what I've found out so far!  I really hope that this helps you or a friend take control of your/their health!

No comments: