Monday, June 28, 2010

Canoe Trip Part 1

This is the kitchen area. It's actually refreshing to cook like this because it's quite simple. We have figured out a nice system that works well for us and isn't too heavy to carry way back into the wilderness. The blue bag hanging from the tree is our water filter. It seemed strange at first to dip water out of the lake and then drink it, but it really tastes okay - really! We had a 2-gallon pot, a 1-gallon pot, and a 9-cup pourable pot for hot water and all of our lunches and suppers were done using those. We also brought 2 griddles and pancake mix for the last morning, but I would consider it a luxury since pancake mix is soooo heavy to carry! The orange 5 gallon buckets are great for carrying food and make nice seats for around the fire. My main duty on these trips is "camp cook" and I really wouldn't have it any other way -- I really enjoy doing it! This year was tricky since I couldn't eat the food that I cooked for everyone else, but it worked out with having meals separately or just snacking on nuts and stuff during meals.
This is the main gathering area. We ate, sang, prayed, and talked a lot around the fire!
There was even some trout to be found in Spruce Lake and one of the men that was with the group did a great job of frying them up for breakfast two of the mornings!
The first year that one of our own kiddos was old enough to go! It was neat sharing this trip with Garratt and now he knows more of the inside story of our annual Youth Canoe Trip! More to come.....
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

glitzen said...

That sounds SOOOO awesome! Hey, we really need to get together soon for a play day. :) Our girls would all love it!

Morhu said...

That is a great kitchen set up! Yet another thing refined and simplified that will make next years trip that much easier! And trout for breakfast? Yum!

mama said...

Yup, it sounds strange to me to be drinking lake water!!! yikes!! But I guess you all survived. :) We like those orange buckets too, so very useful.