Tuesday, May 19, 2009

It's Flower Time!




So, for our together school time (a couple of weeks ago), we transplanted flowers and other plants that needed bigger homes. The girls had planted some sunflowers as a Sunday School project and to my surprise, they are growing beautifully. The geranium from last year's window box wintered over nicely, so we just needed to add some plants to keep it company. Then, at the nursery as I was getting my free tomato plants (they are so good at luring customers in) and flowers for the window box, I spotted a mimosa plant. As soon as I saw it, I was transported to Florida where as a child, my Mom had a mimosa plant in the laundry area of our house. I loved to touch it all over and watch it fold its leaves up. So, upon bringing it home, I told the story and the kiddos were just as thrilled as I was to watch a plant "close up shop" like that! The children worked amazingly well together on this project and were even cooperative when I asked them to pose for some "blog shots". Linnaea was just humoring me, but the others didn't seem to mind my flashing camera and commenting about the lovely blog this would make. :) And in classic homeschooling fashion, we smoothly progressed from science to art by drawing our favorite houseplants (which I plan to show in the next posting).
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

mama said...

I love this time of year! I've never seen a mimosa plant, that sounds really cool! My kiddo has been asking about plants that eat bugs.

auntjan said...

What a blessing, beautful children, beautiful, plants and flowers, and fun playing in the dirt. Wish I could be there to play in the dirt. But for now, have to see you all on the blog.
Love Aunt Jan