Wednesday, January 14, 2009

It "Rained" in School Today...

 

 

 

 

Considering the unwelcomed rain of today that made many people's lives tougher (including my 20 mph drive a few miles on wet ice until I wimped out), I decided to teach the kiddos about what makes the rain. We did an experiment (holding a pie plate full of ice over a boiling pot of water to watch it "rain") and made rain sticks using nails, cardboard tubes, a handful of beans and rice, lots of tape, and sharpies. It is a special occasion when the kiddos are allowed to have sharpies, so they thoroughly enjoyed the power of the permanent marker and did quite well! We also had a video to watch about rain, so it was actually a fun impromptu morning. Garratt was gone to robotics club (thanks again, Mrs. B, for braving the roads with our boys), so the younger three and I got to enjoy our science morning together inspired by a total inconvenience. "Every cloud has a silver lining" :)
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

mama said...

What a cool idea! Yay for rainy stay-at-home days and creative moms!

Dan and Alicia Marlowe said...

I enjoyed talking to Garrett at IDEA on Thursday. What a neat boy he is. I was surprised he would acknowledge he knew me when I came walking in with a potty chair under my arm! ;) You are doing a good job mama!

Bonnie said...

Kristine,
I love it when you share your common, stay at home moments with joy and contentment. I bet they will look back on that day with fondness as they grow older..
Did you sing Shower of Blessings too?

smile...
I love you friend,
Bonnie