Tuesday, January 27, 2009
Quadrants and Some thots on School
Garratt read in his history lesson today about navigational tools used in the early sailing days. We also learned the history behind some famous old sea sayings. He made a quadrant and we estimated the height of a pine tree in our back yard using the degree reading from the quadrant and some trigonometry. We read that a "square meal" was a meal served on 18th century British war ships. The meal was served on a square plate and had meat included which made it complete as opposed to the bread and water served for the other 2 meals of the day.
Now, how come I can't remember having such fun and when I was in school? Oh wait, I do remember learning that icecream was made with seaweed (to give it the creamy texture) and finding everyone possible to tell and try to gross out! That was fun! There aren't very many other "banner days" I remember experiencing, though. I remember a few art projects done through the years for art class, but my elementary and junior high years hold very few distinct "learning moments". Being a visual learner, I don't remember having many connecting hands-on examples with everyday school subjects. Now, high school was a bit of a different story. I'll have to tell you sometime about my crazy speech, Biology, and Literature teacher! :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
I also remember very little from my childhood and school days. I'm always wondering what my children will remember!! kinda scary!!
Post a Comment