Saturday, March 21, 2009

Extra thoughts on the Eagles at the Landfill pictures...

The pictures of the eagles at the landfill (see earlier post "Impromptu Field Trip") have caused me to think more about this symbol of our nation. We as a nation have in many ways settled for the land fill instead of soaring majestically over the water, plucking fish out with our keen eyes and fantastic abilities. I'm guilty of it too. Do I settle for less than the best when it comes to my life? Yes! Am I guilty of picking through the garbage of life when I have the ability to feast on something far better? Yes! Am I looking for an easy way out and a quick meal eating someone else's left overs instead of working for something much better for me? Yes! Do I believe that God can take care of me and go soar on the Eagle's wings (Isaiah 40:31), or do I figure I'd better go pick through the trash and grab what I can there? Yes! Oh boy, I guess I'd better go flap my wings and get back in shape to fly again.

3 comments:

mama said...

Once I moved to AK and learned that the eagles congregate at the dump, I really, really wondered about them being our national symbol. I mean, does this mean we are scavengers and garbage eaters as a nation? Just like you said!

Flapping furiously here!

Bonnie said...

I see it differently, probably only because of the fire God and I have walked through--together.
The eagle is a glorious representation of the strength God provides as we walk through the garbage of life.
So I saw it as God's presence and provision in the yuck of life.

On the flip side, I sure see it as a sad state of our nation and how our foundations on God have crumbled..

Good talking you!
Love you dearly,
Bonnie

Bonnie said...

Talking TO you...sorry.
Tamoxifen is messing with my spellin!!

Love again,
Bonnie