Monday, March 16, 2009
Impromptu Field Trip!
So, this morning I thought that our science lesson would be about what happens to garbage. We had a DVD called "Where the Garbage Goes" (from Netflix--love not going to video stores with children running around saying, "Can we get this?" I thought that it would be a nice change of pace to watch that instead of doing bookwork. So, after watching the video, we got the opportunity to go with Poppy to the real deal! The major difference is that we have tons of bald eagles at our landfill (there weren't any eagles in the video). The kiddos were thrilled to watch the eagles and see the big equipment moving and crunching garbage. This homeschool mama was thrilled to have the kiddos learn so much that will stick with them far longer than the bookwork would have!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Oh Yeah! Our first winter down here we went "eagle watching" over by the river. Not much happening. The next week Daddy took some garbage to the dump, and oh my word he'd never seen so many eagles!! Scavenger birds!
Awesome!!! Where was that? I want to go too! Did you notice how this post goes so well with your blog name? Very cool! Your pics are wonderful. I agree with you about bookwork (of course, knowing me you knew I would!) and learning more from "real" life. Best way to learn, and it always sticks with them better.
Post a Comment