Tuesday, December 30, 2008
A Few Thoughts on "Being Jewish"
A relative of Don's asked me while we were in Wisconsin if I was Jewish. Well, considering that I know of one of my ancestors being Jewish, I would tend to say that I'm quite a little bit of a lot of different nationalities. That's really not the point when it comes to why I chose to celebrate what most people would consider "Jewish" celebrations. If you thoroughly study the Scriptures, you will notice that Jesus was Jewish and celebrated the Biblical Holidays set forth in the Scriptures. So, with the thought of WWJD (What would Jesus do?), my conclusion is that the Biblical holidays (the appointed times on God's calendar) have been given to us by God and should be celebrated. No, I am not condemning anyone who chooses to celebrate particular holidays that have and will continue to be crowded out by the world (like Easter and Christmas--just don't get me started on Oct. 31). If anyone has felt condemnation or some sense of ill-treatment because of their choices in the ways they chose to celebrate holidays, I apologize. I have contact with people who do little else than judge others by the ways they celebrate holidays and berate them for doing things differently than themselves. Please don't take any of my ramblings as implication that you should change something if you want to associate with me! I'm just tired of the mentality that since we have a particular tradition that it must be fine to do it ("that's the way we've always done it"). After analyzing why I do what I do, I've come up with many more questions than answers! There are days when I am so drawn to the Hebraic roots of our faith (the faith of those who call themselves "Christians") that I just want to throw out anything that has the look or smell of the Roman empire and all of those who really "messed things up". Y'all, please be patient with me -- I am under construction and prayerfully seeking to do what my Heavenly Father has created me to do. There is a point in choosing to celebrate Biblical holidays and it is to continue to point heavenward. That's what I want to do -- point heavenward. I am embracing the Hebraic roots of my faith and it has opened up a whole new view of Who Elohim is and what He has blessed us with!! May He be praised and glorified through all of our celebrating!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Learning that Jesus celebrated the Jewish holidays (like Hanukkah . . . John 10:22) was amazing to me. It shouldn't be. He was, after all, not an American Christian--He was Jewish! It is sad to me that so many Jewish people, who celebrate these festivals every year--all pointing to Jesus as the Messiah--don't see Him in the celebrations.
Preach sister, preach!
I admire your convictions--we all have SO much to learn. I admire that teachable spirit in you as well.
You and I have so much in common now, yet it breaks my heart to be SO FAR AWAY....I sure appreciate how the Holy Spirit is growing you.
Keep sharing your heart and do not worry about others--live to please Jesus/Yeshua.
Much love,
Bonnie
P.S. Whenever I get sad, I think of you and I dancing in our kitchen with our children...what a blessed time that was!!!!
Post a Comment