Friday, December 26, 2008
Jammie Pictures on Christmas Eve
We adopted a tradition from my sister-in-law that has been very practical as well. We give the kiddos new jammies (all washed and ready to wear) on Christmas eve and then take pictures by the tree. These are my favorite pictures because they show the simple joys of being together and comfy new jammies! I'm really battling the entire Christmas celebration stuff, so my heart is pulling away as much as possible from the commercial, materialistic "junk" of justifying the entire celebration by throwing in a few carols and making sure that we say, "Jesus is the reason for the season!". I'm not in favor of it (this justifying something spiritual with something worldly) and many people around me know it. The children and I celebrated the birth of Jesus during the Feast of Tabernacles (when it really happened), so it is difficult to really get excited about a holiday that has become a huge coverup for excess and poor choices in spending, eating, and logical thinking. I know that many people will shake their heads and say that I'm fighting a losing battle, but my celebration of Hanukkah and the Light of the World sent to us (when Mary became pregnant with our Messiah) is more meaningful to me at this time of year. I pray that my children will be able to separate the nuggets of truth from the fluff and stuff of the world as they grow up and start their own traditions. Yes, in honor of my husband's desire to celebrate Christmas, we have a tree, give gifts, and bake cookies. But, my prayer is that we won't use our celebrating as an excuse for overindulging and for thinking we're doing something spiritual by throwing a token, "Happy Birthday, Jesus" into the wind!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Oh Man!!!! You know, really, Christmas has become so secularized that if you take away the Santa there's nothing left. Except the credit card bill . . . and who needs that??
Somewhere along the line I heard an idea to celebrate Christ's birth EVERY day. Not with expensive breakable things or massive quantities of food, but with love, compassion for our fellow humans. Can we do that instead??
Post a Comment